How often do I need to have my property tested?

  • Domestic properties: every 10 years or change of occupancy
  • Offices: every 5 years
  • Industrial: every 3 years
  • Residential accommodation: every 5 years
  • Petrol filling stations: 1 year
  • Fire alarms: 1 year

I have had work carried out by an electrical contractor, does it need a certificate?

Yes the type of certificate depends on the extent of the work. If it is domestic the work will need to be registered with building control.

Do I need a zone drawing for a petrol filling station or can I use the generic zone drawing in the blue book?

Zone drawings need to be site specific as this is a requirement of the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations (2002).

Can any electrician work in a hazardous area?

No, they need to be CompEx approved for hazardous electrical work to be carried out.

Can rewirable fuses still be used?

Bs 7671 does not preclude the use of rewirable fuses but it does state a preference for them to be changed to HRC, and depending on the circuit it is protecting an RCD may be required (our company policy is to always change the rewireable to HRC).

What is the difference between earthing and bonding?

Earthing is used to carry a fault current, while bonding is used to limit touch voltages. Both are required by Bs7671.

Can you fit a wall mounted switch in a bathroom?

A wall-mounted switch can be fitted in zone 3, but as a company, we do not recommend it.

What work needs notifying under the requirements of Part P?

Part P of the building regulations for England and Wales requires certain electrical work in houses and flats and their surroundings to be notified to building control. A pocket guide may be downloaded from the NICEIC website.